This four-day course is designed to provide students with detailed coverage of OSPF, IS-IS, BGP, and routing policy. Through demonstrations and hands-on labs, students will gain experience in configuring and monitoring the Junos operating system and in monitoring device and protocol operations.
This course uses Juniper Networks MX Series 3D Universal Edge Routers for the hands-on component, but the lab environment does not preclude the course from being applicable to other Juniper hardware platforms running the Junos OS. This course is based on the Junos OS Release 12.3R3.4.
AJSPR is an advanced-level course.
After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the various OSPF link-state advertisement (LSA) types.
- Explain the flooding of LSAs in an OSPF network.
- Describe the shortest-path-first (SPF) algorithm.
- List key differences between OSPFv2 and OSPFv3.
- Describe OSPF area types and operations.
- Configure various OSPF area types.
- Summarize and restrict routes.
- Identify some scenarios in a service provider network that can be solved using routing policy or specific configuration options.
- Use routing policy and specific configuration options to implement solutions for various scenarios.
- Explain the concepts and operation of IS-IS.
- Describe various IS-IS link-state protocol data unit (LSP) types.
- List IS-IS adjacency rules and troubleshoot common adjacency issues.
- Configure and monitor IS-IS.
- Display and interpret the link-state database (LSDB).
- Perform advanced IS-IS configuration options.
- Implement IS-IS routing policy.
- Explain the default operation in multiarea IS-IS.
- Describe IS-IS address summarization methods.
- Configure and monitor a multiarea IS-IS network.
- Describe basic BGP operation.
- List common BGP attributes.
- Explain the route selection process for BGP.
- Describe how to alter the route selection process.
- Configure some advanced options for BGP peers.
- Describe various BGP attributes in detail and explain the operation of those attributes.
- Manipulate BGP attributes using routing policy.
- Explain the causes for route instability.
- Describe the effect of damping on BGP routing.
- Explain the default behavior of damping on links.
- Control damping using routing policy.
- View damped routes using command-line interface (CLI) commands.
- Describe the operation of BGP route reflection.
- Configure a route reflector.
- Describe the operation of a BGP confederation.
- Configure confederations.
- Describe peering relationships in a confederation.
Chapter 1: Course Introduction
Chapter 2: OSPF
- OSPFv2 Review
- Link-State Advertisements
- Protocol Operations
- OSPF Authentication
- Lab: OSPF Multiarea Networks
Chapter 3: OSPF Areas
- Review of OSPF Areas
- Stub Area Operation
- Stub Area Configuration
- NSSA Operation
- NSSA Configuration
- Route Summarization
- Lab: OSPF Route Summarization
Chapter 4: OSPF Case Studies and Solutions
- Virtual Links
- OSPF Multiarea Adjacencies
- External Reachability
- Lab: Advanced OSPF Options and Routing Policy
Chapter 5: IS-IS
- Overview of IS-IS
- IS-IS PDUs
- Neighbors and Adjacencies
- Configuring and Monitoring IS-IS
- Lab: IS-IS Configuration and Monitoring
Chapter 6: Advanced IS-IS Operations and Configuration Options
- IS-IS Operations
- IS-IS Configuration Options
- IS-IS Routing Policy
- Lab: Advanced IS-IS Configuration Options and Routing Policy
Chapter 7: Multilevel IS-IS Networks
- Level 1 and Level 2 Operations
- Multilevel Configuration
- Lab: Configuring a Multilevel IS-IS Network
Chapter 8: BGP
- Review of BGP
- BGP Operations
- BGP Path Selection and Options
- Configuration Options
- Lab: BGP and BGP Attributes
Chapter 9: BGP Attributes and Policy—Part 1
- BGP Policy
- Next Hop
- Origin and MED
- AS Path
- Lab: BGP Attributes: Next Hop, Origin, MED, and AS Path
Chapter 10: BGP Attributes and Policy—Part 2
- Local Preference
- Lab: BGP Attributes: Local Preference and Communities
Chapter 11: Route Reflection and Confederations
- Route Reflection Operation
- Configuration and Routing Knowledge
- BGP Confederations
- Lab: Scaling BGP
Chapter 12: BGP Route Damping
- Route Flap and Damping Overview
- Route Damping Parameters
- Configuring and Monitoring Route Damping
- Lab: BGP Route Damping