Junos Troubleshooting in the NOC is an introductory-level course.
After successfully completing this course, you should be able to:
- Reduce the time it takes to identify and isolate the root cause of an issue impacting your network.
- Gain familiarity with Junos products as they pertain to troubleshooting.
- Become familiar with online resources valuable to Junos troubleshooting.
- Gain familiarity with Junos tools used in troubleshooting.
- Identify and isolate hardware issues.
- Troubleshoot problems with the control plane.
- Troubleshoot problems with interfaces and other data plane components.
- Describe the staging and acceptance methodology.
- Troubleshoot routing protocols.
- Describe how to monitor your network with SNMP, RMON, Junos Traffic Vision (formerly known as JFlow), and port mirroring.
- Become familiar with JTAC procedures.
Chapter 1: Course Introduction
Chapter 2: Troubleshooting as a Process
- Before You Begin
- The Troubleshooting Process
- Challenging Network Issues
- The Troubleshooting Process Lab
Chapter 3: Junos Product Families
- The Junos OS
- Control Plane and Data Plane
- Field-Replaceable Units
- Junos Product Families
- Identifying Hardware Components Lab
Chapter 4: Troubleshooting Toolkit
- Troubleshooting Tools
- Best Practices
- Monitoring Tools and Establishing a Baseline Lab
Chapter 5: Hardware and Environmental Conditions
- Hardware Troubleshooting Overview
- Memory and Storage
- Boot Monitoring
- Hardware-Related System Logs
- Chassis and Environmental Monitoring
- Monitoring Hardware and Environmental Conditions Lab
Chapter 6: Control Plane
- Control Plane Review
- System and User Processes
- Monitoring Routing Tables and Protocols
- Monitoring Bridging
- Monitoring the Address Resolution Protocol
- Control Plane Monitoring and Troubleshooting Lab
Chapter 7: Data Plane: Interfaces
- Interface Properties
- General Interface Troubleshooting
- Ethernet Interface Troubleshooting
- Monitoring and Troubleshooting Ethernet Interfaces Lab
Chapter 8: Data Plane: Other Components
- Definition of a Data Plane Problem
- Data Plane Components
- Data Plane Forwarding
- Load-Balancing Behavior
- Firewall Filters and Policers
- Data Plane Troubleshooting Case Study
- Isolate and Troubleshoot PFE Issues Lab
Chapter 9: Staging and Acceptance Testing
- Physical Inspection and Power-on
- General System Checks
- Interface Testing
Chapter 10: Troubleshooting Routing Protocols
- Troubleshooting OSPF
- Troubleshooting BGP
- Troubleshooting Routing Loops and Route Oscillation
- Troubleshooting Routing Protocols Lab
Chapter 11: High Availability
- High Availability Overview
- Graceful Routing Engine Switchover
- Graceful Restart
- Nonstop Active Routing and Bridging
- Unified In-Service Software Upgrade
Chapter 12: Network Monitoring
- Flow Monitoring
- Monitoring the Network Lab
Chapter 13: JTAC Procedures
- Opening a Support Case
- Customer Support Tools
- The Content of a PR
- Transferring Files to JTAC
Appendix A: Interface Troubleshooting
- Interface Troubleshooting Chart
- Troubleshooting Various Interface Types