This course describes how to monitor and operate a cloud with MicrosoftÂ® System Center 2012 R2. This course focuses on how to manage and administer a cloud environment, and it describes how you can monitor key infrastructure elements and applications that run within a cloud. It does not discuss planning and implementation, which is covered in 20247: Configuring and Deploying a Cloud with System Center 2012 R2.
- Describe the Cloud Model.
- Configure and optimize a Private Cloud.
- Deploy Cloud Services.
- Monitor Cloud Services.
- Configure Application Performance Monitoring in a Cloud Environment.
- Operate and extend Service Management in in a Cloud Environment.
- Automate Incident Creation, Remediation, and Change Requests in a Cloud Environment.
- Perform Problem Management in a Cloud Environment.
- Operate a Self-Service, Multi-Tenant Cloud with Windows Azure Pack.
- Configure High Availability, Protection and Recovery in a Cloud Environment.
- Optimize the Cloud Infrastructure.
- Configure SLAs, Dashboards, and Widgets in a Cloud Environment.
Module 1: Introduction to the Cloud Model
- Overview of the Cloud Computing Model
- Requirements for a Private Cloud
- Requirements for a Public or Hybrid Cloud
- Operating a Hybrid Cloud Infrastructure with System Center
- Maintaining the Health of a Cloud
- Integrating System Center Components
Lab : Verifying the Private Cloud Infrastructure
- The key features of a cloud computing model.
- Private cloud requirements
- Public cloud requirements.
- How System Center 2012 R2 can be used to monitor and manage a hybrid cloud.
- How to maintain the health of a hybrid cloud infrastructure.
- How to integrate System Center components.
Module 2: Configuring a Private Cloud Environment
- Overview of System Center 2012 R2 Virtual Machine Manager
- Managing the Virtual Environment with Virtual Machine Manager
- Creating Clouds
Lab : Configuring and Optimizing a Microsoft Private Cloud
- Describe the, key features, architecture, and security features of Virtual Machine Manager, including the role that it plays in a cloud environment.
- Manage a cloud infrastructure using Virtual Machine Manager.
- Configure private cloud resources and security.
Module 3: Deploying Cloud Services
This module reviews the key elements that form a service in VMM and how the service is deployed to the private cloud.
- Overview of Service Templates
- VMM Profiles
- Web Deploy Packages
- Overview of Server App-V
- Data-Tier Application Packages
- Deploying Services through App Controller
Lab : Importing and Deploying the StockTrader Application
- Create service templates.
- Create VMM machine profiles.
- Create Web Deploy packages.
- Sequence applications by using Server App-V.
- Create data-tier application packages.
- Deploy services by using App Controller.
Module 4: Monitoring Cloud Based Applications
- Overview of System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager
- Agent Deployment in Operations Manager
- Configuring Custom Monitoring
- Monitoring the Network Infrastructure
- Monitoring Distributed Applications
Lab : Monitoring Private Cloud Services
- Describe Operations Manager, including its key features, security and architecture.
- Deploy agents in Operations Manager to application servers.
- Configure custom monitoring for applications and services in the cloud.
- Monitor the networking infrastructure that applications and services rely upon.
- Monitor Distributed Applications.
Module 5: Configuring Application Performance Monitoring
- Application Performance Monitoring
- Advanced Monitoring in APM
- Viewing Application Performance Data in Operations Manager
Lab : Configuring Application Performance Monitoring
- Describe APM including the core components and best practices when using APM.
- Configure advanced monitoring in APM.
- View Application Performance Monitoring data in Operations Manager.
Module 6: Operating and Extending Service Management in the Private Cloud
- Overview of Service Manager
- Configuring Security and User Roles
- Configuring Work Items
- Configuring Incident Queues
- Configuring Service Offerings for a Cloud
Lab : Operating and Extending Service Management in a Cloud
- Describe Service Manager.
- Configure security and user roles.
- Configure work items.
- Configure incident queues.
- Configure service offerings.
Module 7: Automating Incident Creation, Remediation, and Change Requests
- Overview of System Center 2012 R2 Orchestrator
- Integrating Orchestrator with Operations Manager and Service Manager
Lab : Automating Incident Creation, Remediation and Change Requests
- Describe Orchestrator including Integration Packs.
- Configure integration between Orchestrator, Operations Manager and Service Manager.
Module 8: Problem Management in the Private Cloud
- Overview of Problem Management
- Creating Custom Rules
Lab : Automating Problem Management in the Private Cloud
- Describe problem management.
- Create custom rules.in Operations Manager.
Module 9: Operating a Self Service, Multi-Tenant Cloud with Windows Azure Pack
- Windows Azure Pack Key Concepts
- Administer Windows Azure Pack
- Windows Azure Pack Providers
Lab : Operating a self-service multi-tenant cloud
- Describe the key features, architecture, components, and security features of Windows Azure Pack.
- Describe the Windows Azure Pack concepts.
- Provision and Configure services in the Windows Azure Pack.
Module 10: High Availability, Protection, and Recovery for the Cloud
- High Availability for a Cloud
- Protecting Data in the Private Cloud
- Recovering Data in the Private Cloud
Lab : Cloud Protection and Recovery
- High availability for a cloud.
- Data protection for a cloud.
- Data recovery for a cloud.
Module 11: Optimizing Your Cloud Infrastructure
- Using Virtual Machine Manager to Keep the Cloud Infrastructure Up-to-Date
- Using Configuration Manager to keep Virtual Machines up-to-date
- Using System Center Advisor to Optimize Cloud infrastructure
- Using Pro-Tips to Optimize Cloud infrastructure
Lab : Optimizing your Cloud Infrastructure
- Update the host infrastructure with Virtual Machine Manager.
- Update the host and guest infrastructure with Configuration Manager.
- Optimize your platform with System Center Advisor.
- Optimize your virtual machine workloads with Pro-Tips.
Module 12: Configuring SLAs, Dashboards, and Widgets
- Service Level Tracking
- Configuring and Deploying Widgets and Dashboards
- Publishing Real-Time State with Microsoft Visio Snap-in
- System Center Analytics
- Using Excel and SSRS to View Data
- Configuring Service Reporting
Lab : Configuring SLAs, Dashboards, and Widgets
- Configure Service Level Tracking in Operations Manager.
- Configure and deploy dashboards and widgets.
- Publishing real-time dashboards with Microsoft Visio.
- Use System Center analytics.
- Analyze Service Manager OLAP cube data using Microsoft Office Excel.
- Install, configure and use Service Reporting to create chargeback reports.
This course is intended for cloud administrators who are responsible for monitoring and protecting the cloud infrastructure. It is also intended for solution architects who are responsible for designing cloud architectures and extending existing cloud solutions. The primary audience for this course is administrators who create service requests.
- Windows Server 2012 experience.
- Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) knowledge.
- Networking experience.
- Working knowledge of previous versions of System Center products.
- Knowledge of configuration of Microsoft SharePoint.
- Hyper-V knowledge.
- Microsoft Azure.
- Knowledge of cloud and data center management processes.
- Storage Area Network (SAN) Knowledge.